Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Woah Nellie!

I have been so busy! Canning has taken over my life! Every year I am getting better at stocking up the harvest. I hate to let anything go to waste. But then in a sustainable garden nothing ever goes to waste. It goes to compost! I'm desperate to get everything from the garden in before the apples and pears have to be put up. Because WOW! there's a ton of them.
I don't need anymore jams but I will probably make apple butter and pear butter just to do it. I want to dry alot of apple slices and make spiced cinnamon apple rings and spiced pears. I also came across a recipe for spiced crabapples.
I usually take Brandy for her walk about a mile and a half from here. There are monstrous athletic fields with trails through the bordering woods. It is there that I found all my black raspberries (quarts and quarts) and wild grapes. And the wild crabapple. Also I discovered hackberries and one other fruit tree I am working on identifying. I read a quote today that said, "90% of yellow and white berries are poisonous, 90% of blue or black are not, and with red it is 50-50. This is a tree with black fruit like small cherries clustered tightly together. It could be choke cherry I suppose, but then I have to wonder what I was seeing just a few weeks ago in the same area. Those could have been a wild cherry(quite bitter) and these could be choke cherries.
Guess what? It's a choke cherry! I just found it online. I'll have to go back and find a small twig with leaves from the "other" tree and compare that with pictures online.
There is one other tree I am interested in. It reminds me of the Russian olive trees from New Mexico. It is even putting out what look like olives. I understand that they are edible, kind of sweet, but mealy. We'll see. It is an invasive plant but I do love the sweet fragrance of its spring blooms.I'll take pictures tomorrow and see if anyone knows what they are.
All this to say that I am driving myself crazy trying to keep up with getting everything done. I need children!

No comments: